Monday 6 May 2019

Let there be light

My Conservatory is coming along slowly but in the meantime I thought I'd show you the central light fixture. It was fairly easy to do and it does seem to suit the space.


Below are some off-cuts of very thin brass, left over from scissors I purchased from DollsHouse Mall. Unfortunately there was not a long enough piece to go around the glass dome so I had to cut two pieces. I used a very small hole punch to make three holes in the brass strip. The really tricky bit was working out the distance between the holes. Mathematics was never my strong suit so it was a matter of luck. I guess if I measured the circumference and divided by three that would have worked. The fact that I had to overlap the two brass pieces complicated things!

Photo below shows the glass dome that I started with. Sorry about the order! I bought this from Michaels.
The actual light fitting was one from a table lamp. This photo below shows one that was going to work, but the bulb was not replaceable. Also, the table lamp that I used had two struts that not only added interest but held a larger jump ring in place. If you have a look at the first photo above, you can see that I glued the brass strip to the top of the upturned dome, after I had placed three tiny brass jump ring in the three holes - I think I used Quik Grip. Then I joined on three pieces of chain. At the neck of the upturned lamp I attached the chain to the larger jump ring. To finish the top edge I used a tiny bit of gold braid.

If you look closely you will see the lamp hanging from the ceiling , which isn't there yet!

I hope this has made some sort of sense! Stay tuned for the next blog as I show plants, etc. Thanks for looking!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, Yes, it all makes perfect sense. I am so glad you took time to post this tutorial.
    Do you have Michaels in Sydney? Also note that the light that you took the light from - the ones I have do not have replaceable bulbs.
    Looking forward to the plant post. ... Did you attend the Sydney Miniature Show this past weekend?
    Weather has been lovely in Vancouver area..
    hugs Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always in awe at how you manage to problem solve and come up with what you want made from bits and pieces that were never meant to go together. The light fitting is fantastic and a real asset to the conservatory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your solutions to your decorating problems are always ORIGINAL and BRILLIANT!!!
    I ADORE this lamp tutorial and am so excited that you've posted your process so that I can one day give it a try- BRAVO Linda!!!! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantástico farol, queda perfecto rodeado de plantas preciosas, me encanta esa estancia:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The light looks great Linda! And thanks for the details on making it. This might be very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to make an old lamp new... I have the same one in a box... you gave me inspiration!
    have a nice day,
    groetjes van Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda! This is Gorgeous! The glimpse of your conservatory is just beautiful! Thank you for sharing your methods for making such a stunning light fixture! I am always daunted by the idea of working with metal... clearly I need to try more! I can't wait to see more !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Linda, I've just stumbled on your blog and I love it. This idea for th glass lantern is very cool. I love it. I look forward to your future plans and projects!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate your feedback.